Sunday, March 16, 2008

Horton Had me at Hello.

We know that Paula Abdul may have Sang (and I say sang, because we all know Ms. Abdul hasn't ever lifted a pen to contribute to her oh-so-deep lyrics) a song about a 'cold hearted snake', and some may say that this song, is about yours truly.

I often feel like a fish out of water when it comes to watching chick flicks/sappy movies with my girlfriends or family. I very very rarely come close to shedding a tear, even when I make a concious effort to feel 'in the moment'. I just am not an "emotional" person. Sure, on the inside I've got emotions dancing around like crazy. But it is rare that I ever show them.

Well, my friends. Friday night at a 10:45 showing. My cold-as-ice exterior was warmed, as my heart melted.

I didn't muster up a frog or a lump in my throat sitting through "The Notebook" or "Atonement", where I may have owned the only dry eyes in the house. You see, it takes Jim Carrey and and a bunch of animated and fictional characters to blur my vision and turn to my sleeve, to dab away my liquified emotions.

None other than "Horton Hears a Who" made me crack. I laughed, I cried, I voiced some "oooh"s and "aaaw"s. Andrew was pleasantly surprised by my consumption of this delightful, youth-friendly movie. My tough-stuff attitude had been traded in and transformed into the equivalent of a fabric softener commercial.

That evening, as we walked to our car, we found ourselves quoting Horton and friends and discussing the deeper paralells and significance of the story that it tells.

This ( aside from 'Juno') is one of the only movies I've felt has been well worth my $10.75, in a long long time.





I give this one elephant trunk and two thumbs up!

No comments: