
(I tried scanning my journal which made it overseas, but only lasted roughly 5 days, so I finally decided to document it via modern technology.)
January 7th 2008
It started with a text message; "travel safe *Hugs* <3 Shaleah".
The message was sent at approximately 5:45am. Both Andrew's and my alarm were set for 4:30am. I heard the beep... It wasn't the "alarm" beep, it was the official "text" beep.
"Don't worry" Andrew assured me, for it wasn't the alarm quite yet, just a text...
Both of us being in a complete zombie state of mind, I stare foggy- eyed at my phone only to realize that NEITHER of our alarms went off!!
I hop out of bed, rip off my clothes while running to find a set of clean clothes. Andrew grabs my luggage and wheels it down to the car. I am still brushing my teeth whilst putting my shoes on simutaneously.
It's all pretty much a blur to me, partially because 3/4 of me was still programmed in sleep mode and partially was that there was hardly any time to think; therefore actually remember how everything went about.
As we merged onto the freeway, Andrew suggests I call the airline to see if I will even make it on time. So I called and went through a handful of automated steps with the robotic woman who says " Press 4 if you think this is an eff-ing waste of time". Finally, a woman with a southern accent picks up the phone. She was overtly nice and said that it was a pretty close call being that it was 6:15am when I was talking to her and, again, my plane departed at 7:10am.
After hanging up with Mrs. Alabama, Andrew and I strategized on how, if, and when I was going to make my flight. Our "Plan A" was skycap/curbside check-in.
Finally as we approach the airport at 6:35am, I fumble out of the car in a sloppy, yet time efficient manor.
STRIKE 1- Curbside Check- In isn't allowed with international flights.
I run in while Andrew sits outside at the curb puzzled as to what he's to do. If he left the car, he would get a ticket. But, if I left the line to go get me luggage; that would set me back 15 minutes that I didn't have to spare, and would pretty much guarantee I'd miss my flight.
So, Andrew sweet talks the nazi- cop woman into letting him wheel my luggage in.
While I waited in like at Check-in, Andrew went to go park the car. We gave eachother goodbye kisses just in case I was able to check in before he done parking. But NO, he was able to park and be back while I remained just another number in the Delta International single-file line.
I finally started Check- In at 6:50am. While printing out tickets and whatnot, Andrew took my suitcases over to agriculture, which is the final destination for all luggage.
I kissed Andrew goodbye for a second and final time, whizzed through another line, surpassed the congested escalator by sprinting up the stairs in my 3 1/2 inch heeled Marc Jacobs boots. Ripping off my clothes for the second time before the clock struck 7:00am on a monday morning, I prepared myself for the strip search/metal detector/ x- ray vision routine. Apparently I didn't strip enough, because the thrity-something african american woman made a couple requests for the removal of my clothing, again, and again.
If I had to get naked in order to make my flight, and streak my way to Gate 5B, I would've.
Without fully being dressed as I was prior to my strip search, I grabbed all of my belongings and galloped my way to Gate 5B.
I made it.
Sweaty, and scatterbrained; I freaking made it.
Now, I am about 6 hours away from Greece. I've about 8 hours of flying under my belt thus far. I sit here post- dinner, pre- breakfast surrounded by many Greek civilians.
I'm so fascinated by these people. They're surprisingly disheveled. The man sitting next to me looks like Frankenstien's cousin. I'd say he is fresh out of brain surgery. I would absolutely love to hear his story, but at the cost of being offensive, I won't. I tried to make conversation with him and I don't think he speaks much english, or for that matter even cares to speak to me.
Good Lord, if I had a war wound or scar like that, we all know I'd be sharing it with anyone who'd lend me an ear.
I think I'm going to go tune into the third (corny) movie they've played this trip. If not, I'll get back to reading Hemmingway; For Whom The Bell Tolls. It's such a lovely book, but hard to follow when I've had three hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. [which also explains my handwriting, which also can be excused by the dim lighting].
So for now,
Ciao!
January 8th (ish) 2008
I now sit in my apartment alone. I had quite the experience venturing out with aspirations to find A) a phone card ( internationally), B) a card to activate my temporary cell phone and C) a nice healthy salad. I feel like it's been ages since I've eaten anything but airplane food. Someone recently told me that Greece was very "English friendly", yet no one here understands me.
Although I made it out of my adventure 3 for 3. Plus bonus points for the little dark chocolates I scored.
I absolutely love my booker Maria, she is such a doll, such a free spirit [boy, was I OFF]. And the owner of the agency is such a gentleman [true, but i literally saw him twice the whole time I was there]. I was at ease to find out he wasn't some greazy skeeze. I feel 100% comfortable and am excited for this little adventure.
I am currently awaiting the arrival of my American roomate. She is coming from Florida [wrong again]. It's been a bit weird being all alone, yet really peaceful.
I can't wait to rest up and mentally be up to par to tackle a good chunk of the book I am reading. For now, I remain puzzled and unable to figure out the big flat screen television to sync with the Greek DVD player. So my background noise is CNN ( the only things that comes in english) in black and white.
I've got five castings tommorrow and Maria just told me that I am 'on hold' for Greek Cosmopolitan.
A man just showed up at the door saying that he's a friend of the agency, and that his wife and children live upstairs. He showed me how to run hot water, fix the lights, and Drum Roll..... he fixed the DVD player.
It's funny because it won't play any of the DVD that I brought, just the random ones laying around here.
January 10th 2008
What an interesting day.
There are now three models living here. I had to go out to four castings ALL ALONE in the City of Athens. I had/was/am on option for Cosmo, so I had to separate and go to that appointment alone. I'm too tired to write too much, but some interesting facts from today:
- I had a tax driver who looks like John Stamos' long lost twin brother.
- While I was on the subway today, there was this old woman named Nata; she helped me around town for a bit and invited me over for dinner. She went on and on about her son who speaks excellent english. I think she was hoping for me to fall in love with him.

No comments:
Post a Comment