I formed an addiction, and it wasn't pretty.
I would re-route my day, and go out of my way so I could get my fix. My mind was always consumed with when, where and how I could get a bag. Whenever my friends and I would walk past a shop where I could possibly get my fix, all heads turned towards me "Brynn, do you wanna stop?".
And quite frankly I saw the difference and the toll it took on my body.
I'm not talkin booze or drugs. I became addicted to nuts.
Street vendors were selling them, and little shops of fruit and nuts would sell them. And In some places, the amount you could purchase was endless. Very, very dangerous.
These nuts were usually peanuts (although available in almonds sometimes as well).
They were bathed in this Honey/toffee/buttery goodness. Then most likely tossed into a bin of sesame seeds as they danced around until they had their full, glistening coat of pearly seeds.
My favorite dealer was by the Parthenon. The man was probably in his 60's, has a tooth or two missing. And always seemed just as excited about these nuts as I was. He had a little stand which was on wheels, but always parked. There was always a big light shinning down to showcase the nuts. There they lay, they were still warm, and they came in a little bag, so I couldn't overdose.
There was also this trusty shop by Kanigos Square, where you could fill a bag with AS MANY nuts as you want. The more I went to better the shop man got to know me, and the prices got better. This is where I felt like an alcoholic in a liquor store. It was uncontrolable.
I came home from Greece unable to properly button my pants, and I'm sure I've got those nuts to thank. But I still love them with all of my heart. Before I left I filled up two bags FULL of the nuts. One for andrew and I, and one for my family back home. I must tell you, they didn't last a WHOLE day in either home. That's how hardcore these nuts are.
Fastforward a few weeks into my being back in America... I was strolling down the aisle with Andrew at Trader Joe's and scanning the nut section intensely.
DUN DUN DUN
there they were.
"Trader Joe's Sesame Honey Almonds"
Like I'd been parted and then reunited with a long lost love, I grab a few bags with glee. Anounce to the aisle how happy I was, and prepare for checkout.
as soon as we entered the car, I busted open the bag, and devoured.
I've got good news and bad news.
These nuts are very very delicious. But I'd definately call them the "poor man's" version of the kind that are tucked away in the Streets of Athens, Greece. These aren't toasty warm, they don't leave grease marks on the bag, and the nut- toffee- seed ratio is just not as up to par... But they suffice.
So all in all, I'm still a recovering addict, taking one day at a time. My mom sent me a bag along with some other sweet goodness when she found out I was sick, and the bag is still not empy, and It's been here about 5 days.
Now, THAT is restraint!
I reccommend these if you have any sort of self-control. If not, Good Luck!


No comments:
Post a Comment