Saturday, July 19, 2008

ya hear?

There are times when I think "Man, it'd be great if I had my iPod right now."

(back when I said "if I had nothing nice to blog about, then I won't blog at all", I was in the middle of dealing with our car getting broken into, getting robbed of the iPod and GPS system, having to buy a new window, and all of that good stuff. Now I am living my life iPod-less.)

So, my new scheme is that I will listen to a really killer song right before I leave the apartment, so I will have that stuck in my head as I march through Manhattan.

Suddenly as I step off of the subway- it's as if the man who continues to walk directly behind my left ear, approximately only five inches apart from the heel of my shoe- knew what i was thinking. He could feel my pain, the musical despair I was going through. So. He whistles. Loudly. Even when I thought I was picking up my pace, there he was; whistling a happy tune. Right behind me.

Automatically, the scene from Dumb and Dumber pops into my head.

"Radio!? Who needs a radio?!
( Lloyd and Harry start to sing a horridly off key song, "Mock- YA!... ing-YA! ... bird- YA!... ya-YA!")

I picture this man intruding into my thoughts, interrupting my sulking with; "iPod? Who needs an iPod?" Whistling Willy sings to me through his pursed lips.

Shortly after, we part. I head towards the exit of the subway station, while he; is heading elsewhere. Transferring to the land of birds, whistles and rainbows I suppose.

Thank you sir. For you have now made me doubt my whistling skills which I once boasted about.

BUT! HAVE NO FEAR- roughly seven steps away from my departure from the whistler, there is a woman. She is wearing a crown, and fairy wings. She's singing her heart out. A fellow (male) free spirit is there, playing an array of instruments. They're show stoppers, accumulating crowds of tourists taking photos with their phones, camcorders (yes, your still aloud to call them camcorders), and plain old cameras. It's kind of Tori Amos meets...Blues Traveler?

I thought to myself; If I had my iPod, look at all of this I'd be missing out on!

I exit the subway station and there's a woman proclaiming "She only married him for his money, it was never going to work out!" "Yeah Yeah Yeah" her friend agrees in the most new yorker accent.

As I've said many of times, People watching is a favorite hobby of mine. Although, I've never claimed "people.. listening". Yes, I am beating around the bush, re-wording it to sound a bit more appropriate: All in all, I've become the ultimate eavesdropper.

Minding your P's and Q's is so West Coast, no?

1 comment:

Olivia said...

you have excellent story telling skills my friend