Monday, May 19, 2008

work while you whistle




Last night I opened a can of worms.

Andrew was playing the guitar and I started to whistle along.

My whistle, Is not through my lips, it's simply through my teeth.

It's the old fashioned whistle you may hear at the grocery store exiting the old wrinkled lips of an 80 year old man, or through my personal experience- the sweet melodies that danced through my Nana's teeth whether she be cooking, cleaning, or driving. She whistled away her worries. Her name was Joy, and that's exactly what she brought to a room when she whistled: Joy.

If my whistle is the only good thing I inherited from my Nana, I'll take it.

I'll have you know, I most definately can smile from ear to ear, while whisting any tune. Sometimes I even try to convince myself it is a form of ventriloqy.

I wasn't tired last night, and when it comes to laying awake at the mornings earliest hours, I take anyone down with me that I can. As we all know, misery loves company. And while I wasn't miserable- it's the same meaning- just that my well being wasn't at risk, so not misery; just plain boredom loves some company.

In preparation for my plot to keep Andrew awake; I programmed the right side of my brain to play the music of our itunes library on shuffle, I started to whistle Random tunes while Andrew had to guess.

It started with Nirvana,I then jumped to Oasis, Britney Spears, The Beatles, Mason Jennings, Michael Jackson... I mean I was pulling from all corners of the musical Universe.

As our Jam Session nered the end. I was completely dissapointed to find Andrew stuck on a certain song,
So I decided to stay within the same musical artist, and switched to another song.
Still, he had no clue, soon I found myself referencing up to 7 songs recorded by none other than Modest Mouse, one of my all time favorite bands. Nothing.

Although modest mouse is definately not known for their beautiful melodies and ear catching beats, I made it loud and clear; "These walls are paper thin and every one hears every little sound...Laugh hard its a long ways to the bank!!"

"A wild pack of family dogs came running through the yard one day".

And I thought I was clearly spelling it out for him when I played this card: "I got one two three four, five, six, six, six runnin round the neighborhood perjorative, jinx he said the groom's down on me cuz he ate the rice
It was well intentioned but BAD ADVICE!! Hell yeah.. yeah.. yeah"

eventually he did get it, and we relflected on the last 9 minutes, and how I clearly hit every high and low note. Where did he go wrong?

Why wasn't he getting the songs of an old band that we both hold so dear to our hearts? Was it my ability and skills lacking as my "gift" was tested? Or was it Andrew just slowly fading into his night's slumber? How come it took only one verse of "Oops I did it again" for him to know that exact song?

Is he harboring a true love for pop music, while fronting a psuedo Love for the less sparkley bands?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in my defense pop songs are easier to catch on to because you wistle the melody insted of the vocals in modest mouse... you are an amazing wistler!!!

Brynn Sigrid said...

sure...